Updated: Jun 27, 2018
In this article, our Divisional Director, Chris Jones, talks to one of the top Software Developers in the city to discover what you should expect in an average day in the job.
1. How do you enter this field?
I studied engineering at University and loved maths and computing. I was self-taught in C++ and Java.
2. What does a typical day in the office look like?
An average day starts with a daily morning stand up, emails, a few meetings and then planning for the day. You'd expect to fixing a few issues from the previous day, then design, peer code review and coding for the rest of the day.
3. What is the most challenging aspect of the job?
Keeping with the pace of technology change and tools to use.
4. What is the most rewarding aspect of the job?
Apart from money, the ability to use new technology and design and code cool new stuff.
5. What skills are the most important to perform well in this kind of role?
You'll need to know software engineering, knowledge of software architecture and the ability to write clean robust code that is easy to maintain. You'll also have to be agile.
6. What advice would you give to someone looking to apply for a similar role?
Be flexible and have the appetite to roll up your sleeves and do stuff. Learn. Learn. Learn.